On Thursday, 20 April, European Parliament President, Antonio Tajani will meet with New Europeans in London.
The meeting will take place just two days after UK Prime Minister Theresa May announced an early General Election in the UK on 8 June.
We are pleased to confirm that our NGOs we are working closely with such as Migrant Voice, Amnesty International , Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants and the Immigration Law Practitioners' Association as well as a number of other groups representing EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU will also be with us.
New Europeans will be represented by our Chair, Jonathan Scheele, Tamara Flanagan OBE, Head of Projects, Samia Badani, programme director on our #BestBrexit4EU campaign and Prof.Emmy van Deurzen from our #RightToStay and #Unite4Europe campaigns.
The President will discuss our campaign for the rights of EU citizens in the United Kingdom and take evidence from us about the concerns that EU citizens in the UK have about the Brexit negotiations.
New Europeans will brief the President on the following issues:
- Our #RightToStay campaign to secure unilateral guarantees for EU citizens in the UK and British citizens living in the EU
- Our #BestBrexit4EU campaign run in partnership with ECAS, the European Citizens Action Service in Brussels
- Our work with parliamentarians, EU Ambassadors and NGOs through the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Freedom of Movement
- Our European Parliament motion calling on the EU institutions to unilaterally grant rights to UK citizens living in the EU
- our Green Card for Europe campaign to secure EU citizenship rights for third country nationals in the EU on the basis of permanent residency (including British citizens in the EU)
We will also brief the President about the opening of our new office in Brussels on 24 April at:
Maison des Associations Internationales,
Rue Washington 40,
The occasion of the President's visit is a meeting with Prime Minister, Theresa May, on 20 April 2017 to discuss the European Parliament’s position on the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.
At 11.00, President Tajani will hold a press conference in Europe House (Churchill room, European Parliament Information Office).
The President of the European Parliament usually visits the UK at least once a year to meet with the Prime Minister and later with NGOs working in the field of European citizenship.
In 2014, Martin Schulz MEP, met with David Cameron in Downing Street and subsequently took part in a panel discussion with Samia Badani, New Europeans, Claude Moraes MEP and speakers from Open Britain and NIESR see below).
In the light of political developments in the UK in recent days, the visit takes on a special significance but the timing of the visit is coincidental.
For further information:
Founder and CEO, New Europeans
07710 247 968