Greta Thunberg has launched an emergency appeal addressed to world leaders as they attend the COP climate talks in Glasgow.
Writing on the Avaaz platform, Great Thunberg says:
"Pledges without real action won't cut it any more. Humanity is failing to stop the climate crisis. It's now beyond urgent -- the planet is screaming for help"
Greta Thunberg will be at the talks with inspiring youth leaders like Vanessa Nakate and Dominika Lasota to meet dozens of governments in person. It's the perfect opportunity to deliver a giant call for urgent action.
To world leaders,
That's how young people around the world describe our governments' failure to cut carbon emissions. And it's no surprise.
We are catastrophically far from the crucial goal of 1.5°C, and yet governments everywhere are still accelerating the crisis, spending billions on fossil fuels.
This is not a drill. It's code red for the Earth. Millions will suffer as our planet is devastated -- a terrifying future that will be created, or avoided, by the decisions you make. You have the power to decide.
As citizens across the planet, we urge you to face up to the climate emergency. Not next year. Not next month. Now:
- Keep the precious goal of 1.5°C alive with immediate, drastic, annual emission reductions unlike anything the world has ever seen.
- End all fossil fuel investments, subsidies, and new projects immediately, and stop new exploration and extraction.
- End 'creative' carbon accounting by publishing total emissions for all consumption indices, supply chains, international aviation and shipping, and the burning of biomass.
- Deliver the $100bn promised to the most vulnerable countries, with additional funds for climate disasters.
- Enact climate policies to protect workers and the most vulnerable, and reduce all forms of inequality.
We can still do this. There is still time to avoid the worst consequences if we are prepared to change. It will take determined, visionary leadership. And it will take immense courage -- but know that when you rise, billions will be right behind you.ADD MY NAME